Chances are you had the opportunity (or misfortune) to compete in a spelling bee at some point in your life. You may or may not want to relive those potentially painful memories. For me, I just could not get the “i before e” rule down when I was asked to spell ‘field.’ Luckily, my spelling has improved slightly since second grade.
As NPR's Morning Edition pointed out this morning, English, coming as it does from so many different language sources, keeps you guessing when it comes to spelling. The good news is that the library is here to help!
Tools to help improve your spelling
- Vocabulary & spelling success in 20 minutes a day from Learning Express
- Spell it right dictionary by Christine Maxwell
Interesting reads on the spelling challenges presented by the English language.
- The great typo hunt : two friends changing the world one correction at a time by Jeff Deck
- Righting the mother tongue : from Olde English to email, the tangled story of English spelling by David Wolman
- Spellbound : the surprising origins and astonishing secrets of English spelling by James Essinger
Or, sit back and let other people do the spelling for you in these movies.