Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hot. I need a break.

Austin is hot. I have no imminent vacation plans, thus little possibility of cooling off other than frequent trips to Barton Springs. I choose to live here so am hesitant to complain about the heat, but I certainly would like to escape it for awhile. Below are a few books that transported me somewhere pleasant upon first read and I plan to reread a few of them over the summer.

Eric Newby's A Small Place in Italy
details the renovation of his home and integration into his local village in 1960s Italy.

Anthony Doerr's Four Seasons in Rome
an insightful account of life in Rome with infant twins.

Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence
Mayle left advertising for a slower life in Provence

Chris Yates' How to Fish
Yates is the consummate idler: fishing, gardening, drinking tea, and enjoying life

Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast
Wondering Paris' avenues and side streets poor and content

No comments: