Sunday, September 21, 2008

Adi vs. Rudolf

I’m a soccer fanatic. In addition to devoting an embarrassingly high percentage of my free time to watching matches, I have a collection of jerseys of which I am very proud and deeply ashamed. Having collected so many jerseys and watched so many matches, I have become very familiar with the makers of these items and their logos. Two of the largest and most popular of these manufacturers are Adidas and Puma. How ironic that these giants of the sports apparel industry were founded by two brothers who originally collaborated and cooperated with each other in a shared quest for business success that ended in each achieving this goal in spite of the other. You can read in great detail about the very bitter rivalry of the Dassler brothers in a newly acquired book by the Austin Public Library entitled, Sneaker Wars: The Enemy Brothers Who Founded Adidas and Puma and the Family Feud That Forever Changed the Business of Sports.

No comments: