- It is the home of Marion Morrison (later known as John Wayne)
- Iowa is the origin of the Red Delicious apple (you can read more about this factoid in Michael Pollan’s book Botany of Desire)
- The Des Moines Register sponsors an annual bike ride across the state (Register’s Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa a.k.a. RAGBRAI)
- It is hilly and beautiful (not technically a fact)
- Iowa is also important (to me alone) because it is the first state in which I cast my vote for President of the United States of America.
Maybe, like many of us, you’re confused about why and how Iowa has become so important in elections. Guess what! Your local library can help you out. In addition to providing access to many newspapers in print and through our databases, we also have quite a few books on this topic precisely!
A few suggestions:
Primary politics : how presidential candidates have shaped the modern nominating system
by Kamarck, Elaine Ciulla.
Grassroots rules : how the Iowa Caucus helps elect American presidents
by Hull, Christopher C.
We will be heard : women's struggles for political power in the United States
by Freeman, Jo
Postville : a clash of cultures in heartland America
by Bloom, Stephen G. (Also the author of the Atlantic article reference above)
An Electronic Resource:
Iowa precinct caucuses [electronic resource] : the making of a media event 2nd ed.
by Winebrenner, Hugh, 1937-