Okay, enough of my ranting. I have a plan to de-stress. I like to craft. It makes me happy, and this is the perfect time of year to do so. I like to make presents for my family and friends. This year I am making felt toys for the little ones. I bought some fabulous fabric in New York City this fall and am making some scarves for the ladies in my life. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make for the men, have any ideas? If I can't think of anything, I'll go local and shop for something perfect. Maybe, I'll tuck in a massage or pedicure for myself among all that crafting. How's that for de-stressing? What do you do to relax this time of year?
Here's a very short sampling of some great craft books available at the library, search "handicrafts", "crafts", "holiday craft", and any other good combination of keywords in our catalog to come up with more.
Complete Book of Home Crafts: Projects for Adventurous Beginners by Carine Tracanelli
Teeny-Tiny Mochimochi by Anna Hrachovec
Rediscovered Treasures by Ellen Dyrop
Want to do a little shopping, but want to avoid the big boxes? Check our directory databases, AtoZ and ReferenceUSA. Do a custom business search in either one, then do the following:
- select Keyword... under Business Type,
- select City under Geography,
- select Number of Employees (or Employee Size) under Business Size
- type "knitting" (or whatever else!) in the lookup box under Keyword
- choose Austin under Texas in the city section
- choose 1-4, 5-9, and 10-19 (the fewer the number, the smaller the business)
- then click update count and view results (or search)
Relax and enjoy the season.