Sunday, August 30, 2009

We Miss You Diana


Twelve years ago today, August 31, 1997, Princess Diana was killed in Paris. It seems like just yesterday when the earth stood still and everyone was talking about the same thing, her tragic death.

Are you or someone you know really into the royal family? Do you have all the books and magazines with Diana's face on the covers? Do you spout royal trivia and dates with ease? Yeah, I know someone like that too. I remember growing up my mother was absolutely mad about Princess Diana and everything English royalty. She claims that she is related to Prince Charles, a cousin of a cousin of a cousin or something, and loved seeing the two get married on television decades ago. She was thrilled with the births of each of their sons, was sad when the two decided on divorce and even more saddened with Princess Diana's death. If you needed any kind of royal question answered you would call on my mom.

Today, however, I just use the library. There is so much available, even today, on Princess Diana and the English royal family in the library, in print and online. First, there are countless books and DVDs in our library catalog that will bring you up to snuff on Princess Diana and anything royal. I did a simple search for Princess Diana and a list of 103 items popped up. That should keep you busy for a few days.

And don't forget about our databases. There are several that I used to learn a little bit more about Princess Diana. Encycloepdia Britannica, Biography Resource Center, MasterFILE Premier, any of the magazine & journal or newspaper & current events databases will give you much, much more.

Now, I wonder if you read up on Princess Diana you could beat my mom in a trivia contest. I bet you could, but don't tell her I said that.

No comments: