Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rick Bass is good.

Discovering a new writer is special. It might be the cadence of the writing that attracts us. It might be the subject. It is often something entirely indefinable. I recently stumbled across the works of Rick Bass and am and will remain a firm fan.

I like dogs. I prefer to be outside. I like stories. Mr. Bass covers all those. He lives in rural Montana and poignantly depicts the intersection between animals and humans as well as the dual need for community and isolation. Plus, he was raised in Texas.

The Austin Public Library has a fine selection of Rick Bass’ work.

Colter: The Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had

The Wild Marsh: Four Seasons at Home in Montana

Why I Came West

The Lives of Rocks: Stories

Falling from Grace in Texas

Where the Sea Used to Be

The Sky, the Stars, the Wilderness


No comments: