Monday, March 03, 2008

Babies

So, I recently had a baby and I’ve been thinking about the last year of my life. I have read a LOT of books over the last year. They all range in topic but all have something to do with babies, of course. I’ll run down the list for you.

In the beginning, I started out with a book called Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler. GREAT BOOK. I’m convinced it got me pregnant. Ladies, if you’re looking for something that helps you tune into your body, this is the book for you. Give it a try.

After getting pregnant, I read a lot of pregnancy books. From the hips : a comprehensive, open-minded, uncensored, totally honest guide to pregnancy, birth, and becoming a parent by Rebecca Odes, You & your baby pregnancy : the ultimate week-by-week pregnancy guide by Laura Riley and Pregnancy dos and don'ts : the smart woman's pocket companion for a safe and sound pregnancy by Elisabeth Aron are ones I looked at more than others. From the Hips is a bohemian kind of book written with the new mother of any age in mind, kind of hippie, kind of natural, very open and green. You & Your Baby Pregnancy answered a LOT of questions I had over the nine months. I carried it around with me and read it over and over. Pregnancy dos and don’ts is a nice list of things, foods, medicines one should and shouldn’t do or take while pregnant. A good reference source.

Another type of book that I really enjoyed reading was Baby Bargains by the Fields’. This book gives you the straight dope on whether or not you NEED those silly frivolities that come with having a baby. It tells you where to go and what things you need and things you don’t. I took it with me when I opened my baby registry. It reviews all types of baby products. If you’re pregnant and don’t have this book, what are you doing? Go get it! I bought my own copy as I have written all over it and dog-eared many pages. It will get you from diapers and formula through daycare and high chairs.

Once our little one arrived I found great help from Baby 411 by Denise Fields and Dr. Ari Brown (a local pediatrician). I refer to this resource time and time again. A few weeks ago baby vomited ala exorcist style and the book really helped us out! (However, when in doubt about ANYTHING regarding baby, call your pediatrician!)

And of course, I read to baby every night. We have a wide repertoire of books at home. Dr. Seuss, Berenstain Bears, anything by Sandra Boynton, and Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes are our favorites right now. Reading to your baby is the best thing you can do to prepare him or her for school and life beyond.

Come into the Library or check the catalog; we’ll be glad to help you find everything above and more!

No comments: