Friday, September 09, 2011

Pride!!




Tomorrow, the GLBT community in Austin will be celebrating Gay Pride.  

Recently, I learned by serendipity about the death of Rudolf Brazda, one of the few survivors of Nazi concentration camps where he and other gay men had to wear a pink triangle attached to their uniforms denoting their sexual orientation.  That pink triangle made them a target for brutality, abuse and object of “scientific” experimentation. 

When I read about Brazda, I felt that I was the only person in the world who didn’t know about these atrocities. Then I jumped ahead in time to 1969 and started reading more in depth about the Stonewall riots in New York City. I learned about the before and after and how the protests changed the vision and rights of the GLTB community in this country.

Maybe because I have all this information fresh in my mind right now or maybe because of the love I have for my amazing friends in the GLBT community, that I am more excited than usual about this celebration in Austin.  If you want to get in the mood for this important event, here’s a list of movies in the Austin Public Library collection that might help you:
Tomorrow, go out, celebrate and be proud!  Ah!! Don’t forget to read our two previous blog posts: From the Closet to the Courtroom  and  Gay Pride Month Book Lists.

*Thanks to JB for helping with the selection of titles for this post.  

No comments: