Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Jefferson: where do I start?

The founders of America are intimidating. Let me qualify that: the writings of the founders of America are intimidating. They left such substantial quantities of written work, and so much of it occupies an exalted position in the American historical, political, and literary canon. So where do we start? Do we dig in our heels and begin with the ample correspondence between Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, Washington, Jay, Hamilton, and others? You could. I didn't.

I stumbled upon a wonderful book, Light and Liberty: Reflections on the Pursuit of Happiness. Eric Petersen edited Thomas Jefferson's writings and arranged them in a provoking and digestable manner. Beyond the joy of Jefferson's words, I'm thankful for Petersen's work as it has inspired me to tackle the works of Jefferson and some of those other guys.


Next up for me?

Jefferson Abroad

Writings

No comments: