Monday, August 18, 2008

The Stanley Hotel

the Maude Jellison Library at the YMCA at Estes Park, CO (closed for dinner)

I went on vacation last week and was hoping to see a Library on my trip so I could write about it for you. I did, but it was closed! We drove up to Estes Park, Colorado and stayed at the YMCA; it had a lovely Library and when I went up to it and yanked on the door, I discovered it was locked. I scanned their open hours and found they were closed for dinner. I took a picture of the outside and view. I so wished to take a look around inside, but I guess I'll keep in mind their hours for next time.

Estes Park, Colorado is a little tourist town in upper Colorado (about an hour north of Denver). There are lots of things to do in Estes Park, such as the obligatory shopping, rafting, hiking, biking, horseback riding, discovering the Rocky Mountain National Park, among other things. One such stop may not be on the top of everyone's list, however. I didn't even know it was in Estes Park until someone said so. The Stanley Hotel. You know, the hotel Stephen King based his book, The Shining, on. It's a huge, beautiful, white building that stands up on a hill overlooking the town. (In fact, that's the name of the hotel in the book, The Overlook Hotel.) Apparently, Stephen King started writing the book while he stayed there. If you have read the book or seen the movie, you know the hotel is kind of spooky. The hotel banks on this and even has ghost tours. Next time you're in the area, stay at the Stanley and request the most haunted room! (That's room 418, just in case you were wondering!) However, next year they'll be celebrating 100 years, so book in advance!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Stanely Hotel is amazing, it feels like they should still be making horror movies there. I thought the entire town of Estes Park, was very photogenic. We took seven kids there, and thank god we had the right accomodations from Estes Park Vacation Rentals and Estes Park Central they helped make our accomodations a huge success with such a large group!