Monday, December 13, 2010

Escaramuza Charra

When my wife and I were dating, she took me to a Mexican rodeo or Jaripeo here in town. It involved all of the ususal bull riding and horse roping events common to many U.S. rodeos. All of the brute force and machismo on exhibition was entertaining enough, but I think I would have really howled if it had included escaramuza charra. These events consist of teams of women dressed in brilliantly colored dresses, executing intricate movements or passes at high speeds on horseback all the while riding side saddle. No easy feat to say the least. Below I've listed some resources we have in our collection. However, remember the world's libraries are at your disposal via Interlibrary Loan.

La Charreria Mexicana : Su Historia y Practica
Charreada : Mexican Rodeo in Texas

No comments: