Monday, September 20, 2010

American Male

I often find myself thinking a great deal about my father since his death. I remember him when he was at the age I am now, the kind of father figure he was to me and my sister, and his character flaws. To his credit and my occasional embarrassment, he frequently reminds me of the increasingly iconic character Don Draper of the television series Mad Men. What is odd about this is that he didn't come to the U.S. until he was 26. This has me wondering if these similarities can be attributed to culture and generation or is it something bigger, perhaps a mixture of universal characteristics tied to current societal trends? Sure enough, the library has me covered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Newsweek has an article on this topic as well: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/09/20/why-we-need-to-reimagine-masculinity.html