Monday, March 22, 2010

Vampires in Havana

I can't believe they have remade Clash of the Titans. I originally saw it in a movie theatre when I was in middle school. Even at thirteen I thought it was campy. However, it went a long way in fulfilling my adventure prone, "All hail our glorious hero!", imagination.

Then again, I can beilieve that this movie has been repackaged and recycled. The film and television industry in the U.S. has a long history of reinterpreting, or blatantly plagiarising movies and T.V. series that were originally released many, many years before or were popular in other countries. Films like Nine, City of Angels, and Point of No Return are just a few examples.

Recently, a Cuban friend of mine suggested that I watch the animated film Vampires in Havana. She singled it out for its humor. I dutifully watched it and was amazed at the story parallels between it and the ultra popular Twilight franchise as well as the HBO television series True Blood. True to form, Vampires in Havana predates both Twilight and True Blood by 23 years.

Nine = Federico Fellini's 8 1/2

City of Angels = Wings of Desire

Point of No Return = La Femme Nikita






No comments: